5 Tips to get you started learning a new Language

13:00:00





Hello Everyone!

It certainly has been a long time. The last few months have been busy as heck from going on my first trip to Asia and Japan and then actually moving there once I had heard of my acceptance on the JET Programme. Somehow, I am now mid way into my fourth month in Japan and I still haven't managed to update the blog. 

I thought that now that I have some time and motivation that I would write a little post with tips on learning a new language seeing as my Japanese has improved immensely since I came here at the end of July.

So, if you happen to be interested in learning Japanese, or perhaps a new language then maybe these tips will be of use to you.

5 Tips on getting started with a new Language 





1. Jot Down New Words - When you set out to learn a new language, I'd highly recommend getting a notebook (you can get a pretty one if you want!). I always take my notebook to an environment where I know I'll be exposed to the language a lot (in my case, at work). When I hear a new word, I can easily jot it down in my notebook. If you happen to forget your notebook, just make a note on your phone or simply write the word you learnt on your hand.

I personally organise my notebook. The back is filled with the new vocabulary I accumulate while the front has relevant grammar points I've recently learned. This can also be helpful. If you have some spare time, it's good to give yourself mini-tests on some of the most useful vocab. 


2. Ask to be Corrected - If you happen to have friends who are more skilled at the language (or perhaps fluent) why not ask them to correct you when you're speaking to them. If you have any questions that you need to be answered, a friend is always a great person who can help out too! 


3. Resources! Resources! Resources! - If you're anything like me, you can get a little bit distracted if all you're using to learn a new language is a textbook. Try to practice your new language in a mixture of ways. Currently I learn my language by using a variety of apps, listening to podcasts, completing an online course and reading textbooks which were provided to me through the JET Programme. This makes it less likely that you'll get bored when learning a new language. 


4. Use the language you have in conversation - One of the phrases I don't like using in Japanese is "Wakarimasen" (I don't understand). To me, it's a lazy phrase, a phrase that is a free pass to get out of a conversation that you might not want to have. Why not say something like "Could you say that again?". I believe that you shouldn't take short-cuts when you're both trying to speak and comprehend your new language. 

You're not always going to be able to say exactly what you want to say (depending on what stage of the learning curve you're at). However, you should try to dip into the vocabulary you do have to convey a similar message. For example, I don't know the word for bin in Japanese, so instead of asking where the bin is, I would probably say "Doko gomi wa ikimasuka?" (Where does the rubbish go?). It's not exactly what I'm trying to say but the same understanding is there.

5. Use your new vocab quickly! - If you want vocab to stick, then please try to use it quickly. The quicker you use it and the more times you use it shortly after using it the more likely it is that it'll stick. That is simply why common Japanese phrases like "Itadakimasu" (Let's Eat) and other phrases which are used all the time came so easy to me.



I really hope that these tips will help you on your way to learning your next language. Please feel free to share any tips that I haven't shared in the comments below. 

FacebookTwitterInstagramBloglovin


You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. Nice post! I really want to get back into learning French, I did it for Leaving Cert so I have a little understanding. I am definitely going to take on some of your advice.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!