New York, New York - Travel Diary!

09:16:00



Hey guys! 


If I had to name one of the craziest things I’ve done while being here in the United States it would definitely be that time that I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to book a flight to New York City in the third week of October. I took one day off to miss my finance class and ended up having a sleepover by myself in terminal 3 in O Hare International Airport, Chicago!





My friend Gillian, who is currently on study abroad in Connecticut decided that she would meet up with me in New York. I was so excited to jet off and finally see New York for myself as I’ve been waiting to go there since the age of 12. At that age, my parents took a break to New York but never took any of us with them. I don’t think there is a moment where I have ever felt as jealous in my life.
On Friday October 21st, I took a 5 am flight from O’ Hare to New York (LGA) where I was about to have one of the best days of my life!







I spent full days in New York and came back to Chicago on the third and spent one full day with Gillian and my first day alone. I used to have a fear of travelling alone. You really have no idea how nervous I was flying to America in the first place! But flying to New York seemed like a breeze. I could just have a snooze or calmly read “The Girl on The Train” (which is amazing upon finishing it) while jetting off into the sky and to a fab new destination.

New York greeted me kind of sourly with rain. I get enough rain in Ireland and in the most bi-polar state of Indiana (weather-wise!) and I really didn’t want it here. It pretty much rained for the whole day but I didn’t want that to dampen my spirits. I got a bus to a train station and then the underground to the middle of Manhattan. I started my day walking the majority of Central Park in the pouring rain which really wasn’t that bad once you had an umbrella. Although my white converse got very damp!
Afterwards, I started to explore the city a bit more and found Time’s Square which was so cool! I loved the large variety of lights. I didn’t spend a terrible amount of time there as I knew I’d be going back later on with Gillian! Instead, I spent a few hours in the Empire State building. This was absolutely the highlight of my trip. Looking at all the buildings was seriously so cool! There’s no other way to describe it. It was definitely the best use of 30 dollars in my life just to be on two floors of the Empire State.






Meeting Gillian took a lot longer than we originally anticipated due to a bus delay, but we found each other in the end. After meeting up and heading back to a guest house in Brooklyn we had a really fun second day in New York.


That second day was spent exploring lower Manhattan. We went exploring Wall Street and we also visited the 9/11 Memorial and the New York Stock Exchange. We decided to take the walk from Brooklyn to Lower Manhattan which involved crossing Brooklyn Bridge which was very pleasant. We managed to spot the statue of Liberty which is a lot smaller than it is made out to be. Following our adventures in lower Manhattan, we went exploring around the Brooklyn area as we heard that there were some super cool thrift shops around the area. We ended up finding Urban Jungle among many other vintage and thrift shops which offered a huge variety of things. I didn't end up buying much but it was fun to visit nonetheless. Following this we headed back to Times Square and had some food. 






I seriously had the best two days ever in New York and it is one of my favourite destinations that I’ve had the privilege of visiting. I’d definitely recommend the visit and will hopefully return some day. 

Have you ever been to NYC? 
Was it your favourite place in the US? 
Let me know in the comments below! 


Bye!

FacebookTwitterInstagramBloglovin


You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. Looks like you had an amazing time!
    You took some wonderful photos of the New York City skyline.

    Kat
    katlast.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A plus side of the wet weather is less people! We walked the Brooklyn Bridge on a sunny day and omg, it was so busy! Your pics make it look a lot easier to walk and therefore more time to look at the view :)

    www.abellyfullofwords.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!