4 Days Lisbon'ing - A comprehensive review of Lisbon as a travel destination

09:00:00


Hello Lovelies,

I hope you're all well.

If you follow my journey on Instagram, then you'll know that I went on a trip in early December to Lisbon. Lisbon was a destination suggested to me by my boyfriend because it was high on his bucket list. At the time, I wanted to go to more traditionally Christmas destinations like Brugges or Munich. However, Lisbon ended up surprising me a lot and I fell in love with it. Today's post is going to go through the highs and lows of this fantastic destination and will give you some things to consider when you're planning a trip to this beautiful Portuguese destination. 

What we did 




Our first day in Lisbon was very tiresome. Starting our day at 2am to get to the airport in time for a 6am flight resulted in exhaustion by 3pm. It is at that time that we decided we were better off heading back to our Air BnB and getting a nap in a refuelling. In our short first day, we ended up getting lunch at the Time Out market which ended up being fairly expensive and not worth it in my opinion. We were just so ravenous that we didn't want to go through the effort to find somewhere more budget friendly.  After eating, we had a general wander and found the famous pink street that I'd seen scattered on my Instagram feed in the weeks preceding this trip. Once we'd taken a few snaps (none of which I ended up liking), we went to the Praca de Commercio which is where a lot of the trams pass. There were some trams which were decorated to the nines for Christmas and the conductors were dressed up as Santa Clause. We did some more walking under the arch at this plaza (which reminded me of the Arc de Triomphe) until we reached Rossio Square. We returned to the same area after our nap (and dinner which we had across the way from our Air BnB) to see the Christmas lights at night!

Day 2 came fairly swiftly. We slept well after our first tiresome day. We got up early and headed to the hipster LXFactory for some breakfast. LXFactory is a bit of a hipster area which has a host of art work and cafés. We ended up going to the first café we saw for our breakfast which had a limited selection of food for breakfast. After that, we headed on a walk past the 25th of April Bridge (which was made by the same people who made the Golden Gate Bridge) and the Santa Maria de Belém until we reached the Belem tower. I remember sitting outside the tower, getting a few pictures and hearing "A million Dreams" from the greatest showman being played by a violinist. We then headed inside to explore a bit more. After that, we headed to Jeronimo's Monastery which was one of my favourite places we visited. Somehow you'd feel transported to a fairytale when you went here. We decided to try the famous Belem Pastries after exploring the beautiful tourist attractions. Later on we went to the Roof Top bar called Park which was a lot busier and more expensive than we'd hoped but at least we got to see the sunset and lovely views of Lisbon. 





On our third day, we headed on a day trip to Sintra. Unfortunately, we missed the train we were hoping to get on because we hadn't anticipated how large of a crowd there would be at the station. We got on a train 30 minutes later and arrived in Sintra shortly. On that day we visited two of the many castles in Sintra - Pena Palace and Monserrate Palace. Pena Palace is easily one of the most popular castles, so be prepared for crowds if you're visiting this castle. Monserrate palace was much more quiet and serene and I think I even preferred that to Pena. It was 7 euro to visit the outside of Pena Palace and around the same price to visit inside and outside of Monserrate Palace. Monseratte Palace also has beautiful gardens and is the perfect place to enjoy a small picnic or pick-me-up!

Our final day mainly consisted of exploring the Alfama area, seeing the many viewpoints scattered across Lisbon and seeing the Cathedral. We started our day with Brunch in Nicolau Lisboa which I have to say was absolutely delicious and a very Instagram-able brunch place. We then headed to the Alfama area to see the various views or Miradouros as the Portuguese would call them. Some of the viewpoints we went to included Miraduoro das Portas do Sol, Miradouro Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen and Miradoro da Nossa Senhora do Monte. If you don't have the time to see all these viewpoints, your best option is to head to Castello De San Jorge which is where you'll get to see Lisbon from the best angel. We spent around two hours in this castle admiring the scenery and with a 4 euro concession price for student it really is a good deal!


What we didn't do 






When you go on trips you never manage to get everything done, and although we did get a lot done, the following are things I would like to do next time!

See more Castles in Sintra
- Missing our intial train, coupled with the fact that we visited in the height of winter, we definitely missed out on seeing many of the castles in Sintra. In many of the guides I read, most said that you could probably see three castles in a day. One of the castles which I would have loved to see is the Quinta de Regaleira castle in Sintra which is most well known for its stunning gardens. 

Visit the Mercado de Santa Clara - Lisbon is home to this flea market which I would have loved to go to. Most guides say that it is a place to find some great bargains and get haggling with sellers. 

Visited Ground Burger for the best burgers in town - Apparently, Ground Burger does very good burgers but it is very out of the way and wasn't close enough for us to justify going. 

Paláciodos Marqueses da Fronteira - This is a 17th-century palace which looks absolutely stunning in pictures. I would have loved to visit but it was too far of a journey that it would have taken time out of our other days.







The Positives 
 
I absolutely adored Lisbon, but the following would be the main positive points I took from our trip!

Warm Weather (Even in December) - If you're looking for an escape from the cold, Lisbon is an ideal destination to get some winter snow! We got temperatures of 18 or 19 degrees celsius and it was very pleasant most of the time. Just be prepared with extra layers for the evening!

Beautiful Castles and tourist attractions - Lisbon and the nearby Sintra, both home some extremely stunning tourist destinations. The Monastery, Belem Tower and the castles in Sintra were probably the most stunning.

Variety of View Points - If you love seeing viewpoints from above, Lisbon is a great holiday option for you. There are many "miradouros" scattered around the city, with the best views coming from St George's Castle.



The Negatives 


Honestly there aren't many bad things I can say about Lisbon. The only thing I can think of is that it is not as cheap as what people say. I remember when I went I had this idea that things in Lisbon were super cheap, but it ended up being about average prices. Also when we were in Sintra, I felt like we spent a lot of money that day merely on transport and entry to places. I guess you just need to be prepared to spend money when you're travelling.


Have you ever been to Portugal? What did you think of it?

FacebookTwitterInstagramBloglovin


You Might Also Like

12 Comments

  1. This looks amazing. My partner is super keen on going to Lisbon and we looked at it for Christmas markets too but eventually settled on Warsaw. I've been to Portugal before but Lisbon looks so pretty :) Your pictures are so lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Warsaw was lovely at Christmas though! I was there in March for 24 hours, feel like I need to revisit. I hope you get to visit Lisbon one day because it is seriously beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Nice post with fabulous pictures. Seems to be very colorful place. Your description is quite detailed. However, it would have been better if you had captioned the photos, which would inform the readers about those places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate the feedback and I'll take that in consideration for my next post. Very glad you enjoyed the photos and descriptions though xx

      Delete
  3. I had flights to Lisbon booked for September last year but didn't go through with going as I got a bit burnt out travelling. Glad you enjoyed your trip to the city and got a lot out of it Ellen. Your boyfriend's got a great camera eye (assuming it's him taking all the pics) cos the sightseeing pics are stunning! Also I like how you broke down your trip summary into the positive and negatives. Gives us a well-rounded picture of your break!

    Johnny | Johnny's Traventures
    https://johnnystraventures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwh pity you couldn't go! It is my boyfriend taking the pictures and he does have a good eye! I do take a little bit of credit for directing him.

      Yeah I started to change the way I write travel posts because I would rather people get some sort of use out of the post rather than reading a diary of what I did.

      Delete
  4. Great post. I've often wondered about Lisbon but never made it yet. It looks so bright and colourful. Maybe a great place to visit to get away from the cold in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the perfect place to get away from the cold winter, especially if you live in Ireland and the UK. It was about 18 degrees during the day so it was very comfortable.

      Delete
  5. Love these photos! And Lisbon sounds amazing, honestly I’ve never thought of visiting but you make it sound very fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwh babe I hope you consider visiting. It really surprised me as a destination and I ended up loving it a lot.

      Delete
  6. Lisbon is really high on my "to visit" list. I love your photos of Lisbon - the vibrancy of the colours are sensational! xx

    rhymeandribbons.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely lovely! I really enjoyed my trip there, I loved Sintra, especially Pena palace. Unfortunately I had terrible weather when I visited (in May, I think!)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!