Continually Malta-ing - A Travel Review

09:00:00





Hey Guys!

If you've never been on my blog before, then you probably won't know that I am in a long distance relationship with a Maltese boy. His name is Adrian and he currently resides in Malta. It can be tough not seeing him often, but the relationship comes with the perks of a cheap holiday to Malta every once in a while. 

We have accommodation and a car to ourselves which makes a lot of difference in cost when travelling. So far, I have been to Malta twice and I absolutely love it. It's warm, English is widely spoken, and they have some of the most delicious treats around! So if you haven't guessed it, today's post is going to be a travel review post on Malta! 






The Positives 

English is widely spoken - Yes, Maltese is a language, however, English is spoken by all in Malta. This makes communicating for tourists a hell of a lot easier. Going to Malta is pretty much going on a tropical holiday without the language barrier! 

Pastries - Malta, being culturally influenced by Italy definitely has its fair share of sweet treats which are absolutely delicious! As well as that, they have savoury pastries which are pretty cheap! The savoury pastries I'm talking about are called Pastizzi. They're pretty much these layered pastries with fillings like peas, spinach, ricotta or chicken inside them. These are available in any pastry shops which are abundantly spread around Malta. 

Seafood - For me, seafood was a highlight of Malta. I had a lot of king prawns which were absolutely massive compared to the prawns we'd have at home. Not to mention they were absolutely delicious! 

CATS -  When you''re a crazy cat lady like me, seeing cats in other countries really excites you. When I found Malta to be speckled with cats, I was so happy. Some were super friendly, while others just wanted to be left alone to eat in peace. 

Crystal Blue Waters - Malta is highly renowned for its crystal blue waters and it certainly does not dissapoint in that department. Whether you want to snorkel, scuba dive, swim around or just admire the waters from afar, you definitely won't be disappointed. 

Continuous nice weather - Influenced by Africa, the weather in Malta is almost always nice. Some of these photos were taken in January and it would have been about 17 or 18 degrees Celsius at the time. I haven't been there in the height of summer yet, but I hear that it is usually over 30 and sometimes hits 40 at the peak of the warm season. 

Lots to do -  There is a ton of stuff to do in Malta and after being there twice I still think I wouldn't be bored too easily on my third visit. If you get bored of the main island, there are trips available to the other two Maltese islands of Gozo and Comino, there's scuba diving, beautiful fortified cities such as Mdina and Malta's famous three cities and of course the capital of Malta Valetta. Read on further to find out what else Malta has to offer. 





The Negatives 

Public Transport is Abysmal - Malta's public transport is only a bus system, and let me tell you it is terrible unless you're in a popular area like Valletta. Adrian's cousins weren't driving while their mum was away and had to spend a whole day going to the swimming pool and back. If you're looking to explore a lot of the country it might be worth considering renting a car. 

Traffic - Despite being an extremely small country, Malta's roads are saturated with drivers and sometimes it can take you a bit longer than you think to get to places. As well as that, some of the drivers in Malta can be a bit chaotic. I mean they're not as bad as those in the Amalfi Coast, but it's something to bear in mind. 

Malta's Aquarium - I didn't think too highly of Malta's aquarium. I thought that it was too short and a little dull compared to aquariums I have been to before. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh as the one I visited in Chicago was unbelievable. 



What we haven't done there 

Comino - Comino is the third of the three Maltese islands - Malta, Gozo and Comino. It essentially is an uninhabited island about 3.5 km. It's main attraction is the blue lagoon which is a place of paradise for snorkelers and divers. 

Trip to Sicily - Belonging to Italy, the island of Sicily is just over an hour ferry ride from Malta. One of our main reasons for not going is because of the expense. But I would love to hop over to Sicily one day to see Mt Etna and all the other joys it has to offer! 




A list of things we did do 

A day trip to Popeye Village 
A day trip to Gozo 
Mdina 
Valletta 
Trip to Birgu
Lunch in Senglea  
Visited Marsaxlokk 
Went scuba diving 
Explored Sliema 
Went to Ghar Lapsi 
Saw the beautiful Dingli Cliffs 
Relaxed at Ghadira Beach 
Relaxed at Golden Bay Beach 
Went to Malta Aquarium
Explored Hagar Quim temples 
Hung out with cats  
Saint Antoine's Gardens 



Have you ever been to Malta? What did you think?

FacebookTwitterInstagramBloglovin


You Might Also Like

5 Comments

  1. Okay this has convinced me I need to go to Malta. Your pictures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah Malta looks so pretty! It's somewhere that I haven't really heard much about, but from your pictures it looks gorgeous! :)

    Sophie x

    https://sophiesthoughts3.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Malta but it sounds absolutely amazing, will have to add it to my (Very long) travel list! I am such a fan of Italian pastries, so italian influenced pastries sound ideal!

    Jas xx | https://thoughtsfromjasmine.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures look stunning I'd love to visit Malta! Would love a post on how you manage a long-distance relationship xx


    Morgan // www.justmorgs.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the best aquariums I've ever been to was one in La Rochelle in France. It was huge and looked amazing. Malta looks great especially since there are so many cats haha

    TheFashionnBlogger | https://thefashionnblogger.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!